Latest News

PNG ready to host FIFA Under - 20 Women's World Cup

Staff Reporter 10/18/2015 | | | |
THE key stakeholders in Papua New Guinea’s hosting of the FIFA Under-20 Women’s World Cup are united to make the tournament a success.
Sports Minister Justin Tkatchenko, Oceania Football Confederation president David Chung and local organising committee chief executive officer Seamus Marten were joined by National Capital District Governor Powes Parkop and PNG Sports Foundation executive director Peter Tsiamalili Junior in Port Moresby last Friday to showcase their commitment to the realisation of this project.
“On the back of the Pacific Games we have an opportunity to build on a legacy that will help attract more world class events to the country,” Chung, pictured, said.
The FIFA U20 Women’s World Cup is the next major event to be held in PNG with further significant events also on the horizon.
“The cooperation between all stakeholders shows the pride we have as a nation to show the world we can host these events. PNG is truly positioning itself as the sporting hub of the Pacific,” Tkatchenko said. A detailed dossier addressing the concerns FIFA highlighted previously as crucial for the host nation was submitted ahead of the October 15 deadline and Chung, a FIFA vice-president, is set to deliver a hard copy of the document to the FIFA Executive Committee in Zurich, Switzerland at next week’s extraordinary meeting.
The document outlines plans for four match venues in Port Moresby, including a “pop-up” facility at the Bisini Sports Complex, identifies 17 training venues with a detailed summary on how to bring them up to FIFA’s minimum requirements and provides developed medical and security operational concepts.
“Our one city concept is a new approach for FIFA to consider and I am sure following our successful hosting it will open up new opportunities for other emerging nations to host youth events in a similar manner,” Chung said.
The four proposed stadiums are the National Football Stadium (formerly Lloyd Robson Oval), Sir Hubert Murray Stadium, Sir John Guise Stadium and the ‘pop-up’ 5000-seater at Bisini.
Minor works will bring Sir John Guise to full compliance with FIFA stadium guidelines, while the remaining stadia will be ready by mid-2016 at the latest.
In a further boost for PNG’s football fans, Chung also confirmed that the country was the only member association to present a bid to host the 2016 OFC Nations Cup.
“The Nations Cup will provide us with a platform to test the various concepts of operations we are proposing so that when the FIFA Women’s U20 World Cup arrives our fields and our people will be ready,” he said.
“Our mission is to inspire and to excel, not only for Papua New Guineans, but for other smaller nations to see that it can be done.
“I am proud that the Government, the PNG Sports Foundation, PNGFA and our fellow stakeholders have shown the courage to undertake this task.” One PNG/The National

One Papua New Guinea Designed by Templateism.com Copyright © 2016

Template images by Bim. Powered by Blogger.
Published By Gooyaabi Templates